Crisis of Displaced Exacerbates in Yemen
The displacement crisis in Yemen is exacerbated by the lack of safe drinking water and the lack of health and medicinal capabilities, especially with the control of the Saudi-mercenaries and armed groups in many areas, preventing the delivery of humanitarian aid to the people in areas from which they were displaced.
Transporting water to children is a matter of routine for those who have been displaced from their areas due to the continued aggression against their country and the control of the militants and mercenaries over them. Hundreds of thousands of Yemenis are forced to live in places where the most basic necessities of life are not available.
“We come to get water twice a day, in the morning to fill six gallons and in the afternoon I come again to fill another six gallons. There are no other water pumps in the area,” said Ghalia Abdullah, a Yemeni displaced.
The far distances that must be traveled in order to deliver water to the family, which sometimes reaches twenty kilometers, are not the only challenge for the Yemeni displaced, as the water currently present is not suitable for drinking.
“Children drink water and then get sick. For this reason we go to the hospital, there is no clean water,” said Ali Muhammad, who is the father of a sick child. “Water is available either in the ponds or in tanks and it causes children illness.”
Thus, visiting medical centers that are poorly equipped and less capable has become a natural visit for displaced and non-displaced families alike, and the treatment of children from intestinal diseases has turned into a crisis in light of the lack of medicines that do not reach what has not been destroyed from health centers due to the continued fighting.
According to official reports, about two thirds of Yemen’s population of about 29 million people do not have access to necessary medical care, most of them do not have access to clean drinking water.
Especially since sewage networks and water treatment and transmission centers in most regions of the country were either completely destroyed in the attacks of the Saudi aggression, or they were damaged.
As well as some 393,000 people have left their areas in Yemen since the beginning of 2019, a UN agency said Wednesday, because of the 4.7-year war on Yemen.
“Since the beginning of this year, nearly 393,000 Yemenis have so far got displaced, mostly because of the Saudi-led aggression,” the International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported.
Last November, IOM said 3.65 million Yemenis had been internally displaced by war and disasters.
The 4.5-year war on Yemen has pushed the country to the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.